Friday, December 5, 2008

Differentiator

We're better? We're Faster? We have better customer service? I get that initially a lot when I talk to customers about brand differentiators. This is a hard topic because let's face it your competition wouldn't be your competition if you didn't offer a very similar thing. Reeling down the billion bullet points of assets doesn't make you better.

Brand differentiators is, to me, a bit more about the niche and who you are talking to and the personality you are putting on the brand.

In a recent CRM Software brand that I worked with, it was important for me to go through my 'Visual Catalyst' process. In so doing I got the personality of the developers, their vision of the company moving forward and the position in the market began to take hold visually and with words.

They have many of the same benefits and tools as the competition, the price is pretty close, they have flexibility to be reconfigured for the customers needs.
So-- it had to come down to branding. They care about the business of Non-Profits. They live and breath it. They share the same values as the customers that they are reaching out to and they really really want to make them successful.

So we used that. We built the campaign around that. I can't go into detail until their new website goes live. I can't discuss the business model and how we tweaked it to fit with the strategy. But, it set them apart from the competition. Without a bunch of bullet points.

No comments: